Monday, March 14, 2011

Bizeh

One of my favorite recipes!! Bizeh means peas and this is the way my grandma would make them. The recipe you would find in Syrian cookbooks is usually made with meatballs, but my grandma would make it with chicken. Personally, I like it better with chicken. I made this for a meal once and one of my friends couldn't stop raving about it even though he claims he's never liked peas. So, even if you think you're a pea hater, give this recipe a try!

Bizeh with Chicken

2 chicken legs and thighs
1 tablespoon of olive oil 
1 16 oz bag of peas
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon ground all spice
salt & pepper to taste

1)Brown the chicken on both sides in olive oil
2)Add 2 tablespoons of water
3)Put on lowest flame and simmer for 1and a half hours (check on it so it doesn't burn)
4)Add package of peas, all spice, salt and pepper and shake the pot so the oil from the bottom gets all over the peas.
5)Cook for an hour (Check 1/2 hour to make sure it doesn't burn. It is done when the peas are brown and toasty.)

Unfortunately, I never took a picture of the way the bizeh looks when it's all nice and toasty and ready to eat. When it looks like the picture above it is not ready yet. Keep cooking. You don't want it to be burnt, but you want the peas to be brown and caramelized.

1 comment:

  1. I am not a pea hater. I am a pea lover! Who can hate peas? I once even made green pea cupcakes. Because I figured everything with peas must be delicious. Alas, those cupcakes were a bit weird even for me, but still, peas are awesome. My favorite canned vegetable. When are you making this for me?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete