Monday, March 28, 2011

Bizeh Peanut Butter Makeover

I can't believe it. I just came to post a new blog and noticed that I still haven't posted the Peanut Butter Bizeh yet. Oops. Well here it is.
I mentioned that the real Syrian recipe is made with meatballs, but that my grandmother always made it with chicken. So I figured that for this one I would make it the "authentic" way with meatballs, if you consider peanut butter meatballs authentic.
The result: Success!!
I actually didn't taste it. I wasn't feeling well so I fed it to Mike. When he took his first bite he didn't like it. But as he kept eating it he decided that he actually liked it. He ate the leftovers the next day for lunch and told me that he loved it!! I said, "Really! The peanut butter was good with the peas?" He said, "Peanut butter? Oh yeah. I forgot there was peanut butter in the meatballs." Hmmm.... And since I didn't taste it I can't say whether he is crazy for not noticing the peanut butter or if it really didn't make a difference. Either way, he loved it!!

Peanut Butter Meatballs and Bizeh

1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 pound ground beef (I used chicken)
2 tablespoons chili sauce
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt, and 1 more teaspoon of salt
pepper to taste
1 egg
1.5 tablespoons oil
1 bag of frozen peas (16 ounces)
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1.5 cups water

Mix peanut butter with ground meat, onion, chili sauce, salt, pepper, and egg.
Form into small meatballs.
In a medium pot, saute the meatballs in the vegetable oil over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until brown.
Add the peas, allspice, salt and water. Cook, covered, over low heat for 1 hour or longer, until most of the water is gone and the peas are brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment