Wednesday, December 19, 2012

My Husband was on TV Peanut Butter Cookies



Anyone who knows my husband knows about his crazy good memory. This memory of his often puts him in the center of attention. Well, it was no exception when he went to the Jeff Probst show as an audience member of a Survivor-themed episode and ended up being interviewed on TV by Jeff Probst, himself, because of his ability to remember the order that every single Survivor player on every single season (there have been 25 seasons so far) was voted off. He is the ultimate Survivor fan and he got to prove it to the world.

Mike Showing Off on the Jeff Probst Show!

It was so cool watching him on TV and definitely a cause for celebration. Mike is always begging me to bake cookies. "Can you just make normal cookies? Not your quinoa, healthy, weird experiments." One of his favorite cookies are these peanut butter cookies. They are absolutely delicious. Haha! Joke's on him. What he doesn't know is that they ARE healthy and that his celebration cookies were very much an experiment. No quinoa, though. I bought a container of peppermint (his favorite) ice cream and figured if the cookies were a disaster, there was a backup plan. This recipe originally came from the blog Handle the Heat (before my adjustments) and it is a hit every time I make it. I have given the recipe to many family members. 

So, yeah, this recipe is not one of my grandmother's recipe. But, this blog is also a celebration of peanut butter. Pesto recipes will also be making appearances :)


I had been planning on surprising Mike with these cookies all day. On my drive home I realized I didn't have eggs. I was so disappointed until I remembered that I had learned from Pinterest that flax seed can substitute for eggs. When I got home I saw that Mike had bought eggs, but even so, I was determined to follow through with my experiment and see what happens when you substitute flax seeds for eggs.


The batter was more dry than usual, but the cookies turned out surprisingly to be more moist than ever. They were absolutely delicious and Mike had no idea that anything was different and gobbled them up. And they were so super healthy! This was such a success, next time I may try and make them even more healthy by cutting down on the sugar.

Perfect Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies


(Yup, I used the Kirkland Peanut Butter that was recalled, only because it had already been opened and no one had gotten sick from it. This is the best peanut butter ever. Each container has such a generous amount of peanut butter in it, it mixes evenly, and is delicious. Too bad that it was getting people sick, huh?  I have 3 more in my cabinet which I will regretfully be returning the next time I go to Costco.)

The Best Peanut Butter Cookies - Healthy and Vegan

1) 1 cup peanut butter
2) 1 cup brown sugar 
3) 2 tablespoons of flax seed mixed with 6 tablespoons of water (or two eggs if you don't have flax sseed)
4) 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
5) 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
6) 1 teaspoon baking soda
7) 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray baking sheet with PAM or line with parchment paper. Beat peanut butter and brown sugar with an electric hand mixer on medium speed until incorporated. Add the flax seed and water mix, slowly, until mixed in. Add in flour, oats, and baking soda. Stir in chocolate chip with a fork or spatula. Drop balls of dough onto the baking sheets. This recipe made 2 trays of 12. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool on a cooling rack. 

1 comment:

  1. You might like my porridge recipe (qties for one hungry person):

    1/2 cup rolled oats
    1 cup boiling water
    pinch salt
    handful of sunflower seeds
    handful of raisins/sultanas
    large heaping tablespoonful of crunchy peanut butter

    Place oats, salt, raisins, sunflower seeds inot a bowl three times the size you think you'll need. add peanut butter. Pour boiling water over spoon to release peanut butter. Stir in peanut butter (or not - can be done later).

    Nuke for 3'30" on high, uncovered.

    Top with butter and/or maple syrup, or not.

    ReplyDelete