Friday, December 7, 2012

Cheese Ejjeh


Another version of ejjeh (Syrian Latkes). This one is with cheese instead of meat. It isn't the healthiest food, that's for sure, but Chanukah comes but once a year. (I don't suggest eating this all eight days, though.) 

It is essentially a cheese omelet, as the ingredients are just egg and cheese. 
But it is the cheesiest cheese omelet ever. 
And did I mention it’s fried! 

By the way, a fellow half-Syrian friend of mine (shout out to Dave!) told me that 'ejjeh' means 'cake'. 
 If you are a cheese lover than this recipe is for you! 
Doesn't it look good?
           And just like the meat ejjeh, you can eat this in a sandwich with tomato and lettuce. 
I was out of lettuce and tomato, so we had to do without. 
But there was no way I was making dinner without something healthy. So I sauteed mushroom, eggplant, and pepper for the side. That way I got to enjoy my fried cheese sandwich guilt free. 

Cheese Ejjeh

1)8 oz. of cheese (mozzarella, cheddar, I used Monterey Jack)
2)3 eggs & 1 egg yolk
3)salt & pepper to taste
4)oil for frying

In a bowl, mix together all of the ingredients.  Heat oil on the stove. Drop 3 large spoonfuls of cheese mixture and cook for 2 minutes on each side (until it bubbles). Continue until the cheese mixture is all used up, stacking the pancakes on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the extra oil.                               



No comments:

Post a Comment