Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sahlab!

Well, like Nomi said, we are back and better than ever! So since she explained everything already, I'll jump right in with a recipe! Not without my fair share of mess ups, I finally made sahlab (pronounced sechleb), which may have a funny name but tastes delicious! Basically a milk pudding, this simple recipe is great for anyone who likes milk, vanilla, or pudding.


So, without further ado, here's the recipe: (makes about 5 portions)

Sahlab

4 cups milk
1/4 cup of sugar
4 tablespoons corn starch
1 teaspoon vanilla

Put 3 and 1/2 cups of the milk in a pot. the other 1/2 cup mix with the corn starch until well dissolved. Make sure to stir it well before you add it to the pot--otherwise it clumps.
Wait until the milk in the pot is almost boiling and add the rest of milk with cornstarch, the sugar, and the vanilla.
(I'm not really a lefty--but i definitely wanted to hold the phone in my right hand!)

As soon as everything is in the pot, make sure to stir very frequently, or else disaster may be on your hands.
Exhibit A:

I turned my back for 10 seconds and come to find it overflowed! Don't make this mistake!

But not to worry, its all cleaned up. (Although I clearly left a few streaks on the stove. Yuck!)

(Yes, that's Katie's highchair in the background :)

It will take some time to get the right consistency (which is thick), but after about 8 minutes you can stop stirring and remove from heat. Sadly, I think I stirred for a little too long, so it ending up burning a bit. I know--I seem like a disaster! Trust me, it's a one time thing! Plus, it made a cool configuration at the bottom of the pot.

Then all that's left to do is poor into ramekins or cups--whatever you have--and sprinkle cinnamon on top--the best part!


As you can see, I like a lot of cinnamon on my sahlab. It's totally not that a lot came out of the container at once! (for real--that was one disaster that didn't end up happening!)

Well, there you have it. Sahlab! Mine may have been a small fail, but this is a delicious recipe that is a great desert or snack! I might just leave the job of cooking it up to my mom or sister from now on!

Sahlab is delicious eaten hot or cold. Keep it in the fridge. The part that sticks to the bottom of the pot (even the burnt part) is delicious. All my siblings used to fight to eat the "pot" when they were little kids (before I was born.)


No comments:

Post a Comment