Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Tadbileh (Ground Beef Filling)

Tadbileh is a ground beef filling. There are many (delicious) Syrian foods that require being stuffed with Tadbileh. This ground beef mixture is absolutely delicious and can be eaten on its own as well. We had it for dinner last night with hummas, tehina, pita, and, sauteed onions and mushrooms.

Tadbileh with Hummas and Tahina Mixture Garnished with Paprika and Cilantro

I made this for dinner last night because I wanted to make something easy. I was so exhausted even though it was only Monday. This is such a great meal for when you are just too tired to make a fuss. It fills you up, and isn't it just so impressive looking?


First you saute an onion.
Then you add the meat and continue sauteing, breaking it up with a fork or your hands. 
When the meat has browned and there's just about a teaspoon left of liquid, add the spices. (I just threw out most of the liquid because my meat was browned and I didn't feel like waiting for the liquid to be absorbed) My grandma flavored it with salt, allspice, and white pepper. Sometimes, I use cinnamon in addition to the other spices. Last night I left the cinnamon out. I kept it authentic, Grandma :)
Experiment with the flavors yourself and see what you like best. 
And then have fun plating it. Last night I put the Hummas/Tehina mixture in the middle of the plate. Sometimes I do it the other way around and put the meat in the middle and the Hummas/Tahina all around. I used store-bought Hummas and homemade Tahina. And then I just mixed them together and sprinkled the mixture with paprika to make it pretty. 
We stuffed a pita with the Hummas/Tahina mixture, the meat, and the sauteed mushrooms and onions. 
It was a real fun meal and tasted like we were eating in a restaurant. 

Tadbileh (Ground Beef Filling)

1)1 onion, chopped
2) 1 tablespoon oil
3)1 pound ground beef
4)2 teaspoons allspice (I like my meat flavorful. If you are not familiar with all spice, I suggest starting with 1 teaspoon, tasting it, and adding as needed)
5)1 teaspoon kosher salt
6)1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)

Sautee the onion in the oil over medium-high heat until soft but not brown, about 4 minutes. Add the meat and continue sauteing. Break up the meat, as you are adding it , with a fork or your hands. Sautee until the meat is fully brown (about 10 minutes) or until all but 1 teaspoon of the liquid has been absorbed.  Add the allspice, salt, and cinnamon if using. Taste and add as needed.





3 comments:

  1. Such a fun food! I remember vividly that I enjoyed eating it, and it does look very impressive on the plate. Nice to know that it doesn't require many ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of home. So easy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Cindy, as soon as you rule out being allergic to allspice, I'll make it for you! And Tzviah, too!

    ReplyDelete